Monday 11 June 2012

Sushi 99

Sushi 99
36 Northfield Drive East
Waterloo, ON
519-725-7799










In her opinion:
There was once a time when you needed to drive to Toronto; no, actually Scarborough, to get really good Japanese food - sushi. Not anymore, I would say that in the last 5 years sushi places (especially all you can eat sushi places) have sprung up all around Waterloo region.

I love Japanese food and I love sushi but I need to enjoy them in well spaced-out time intervals. I mean, I don't want to eat sushi everyday or every week but I don't mind sushi once or twice a month. My favourite place is Ye's.  I love their spicy or green dragon rolls. Just fresh and delicious.

However, lately my darling husband has been mentioning how he prefers the food at Sushi 99. He kept referring to the fact that it was just fresher and overall better. This meant only one thing...I needed to try it out and judge for myself.

So on a beautiful afternoon in late May we drove to Waterloo for a Japanese lunch at Sushi 99.  When you walk into the restaurant, you will notice that it is nicely decorated in modern decor.  We were seated right away and our drink orders were quickly taken. We then got down to business...deciding what to have.  The menu at Sushi 99 is similar to other all you can eat sushi places and you simply need to fill in their order sheet with what amount you want of each particular item.

We started off with some tempura...shrimp and calamari.  Then we got some dynamite rolls, green dragon rolls, avocado rolls, sweet potato tempura rolls, spicy salmon hand rolls, avocado hand rolls and spicy tempura shrimp hand rolls. We also got some shrimp sushi, spicy salmon sushi, white tuna sushi and crab cake sushi. We ordered some fried seafood udon noodles and chicken wings.   Our second round consisted of spicy salmon hand rolls, dynamite rolls and green dragon rolls. It sounds like a lot but it's not...that's the beauty of Japanese food. Don't get me wrong, I was super full...so full that no dinner was required on this evening.

Well, Edgar was right. The food was excellent at Sushi 99. Super fresh, plentiful and delicious.  I may have found a new favourite sushi place!!! So much so that on the second weekend in June we returned. This was because O'Yummy Sushi on Ira Needles Boulevard and Erbsville Road was a miss.  Their lunch menu was very disappointing only offering a limited menu. So, what to do...go back to Sushi 99. We basically ordered the same things except we added a spring roll and spicy crab maki roll to our choices. Although, I enjoyed it very much, it was better the first time around.

In his opinion:

My "favourite new sushi place" keeps on delivering every time I have the opportunity to go and eat there. Sushi 99 is located at the Williams plaza on Northfield Drive in Waterloo and it has become so popular that reservations are highly recommended during  weekdays for lunch. Then good luck finding parking as well.


I have been here a few times but fell in love with their sushi right after my first time eating here. The service is great, the decoration is clean, modern and even though it lacks in the "Japanese feel" that you find in some other sushi places, it more than makes up for it in the food department.


I won't go into too much detail around what we ordered (it has been very well captured above) but I will highlight a few of my favourites. The spicy salmon, white tuna and shrimp sushi and the spicy salmon wrap are to die for. Worth mentioning are the BBQ shrimp skewers, shrimp tempura, BBQ eel, dragon rolls, dynamite roll and anything with avocado.


Ultimately, I think that the choices for sushi in this Region are all pretty good but Sushi 99 is a cut above the rest. The service is more pleasant, the staff acts quicker to remove an empty plate or pick up an order and the food feels/tastes overall fresher and tastier than other places. Hands down my new favourite sushi place and how can you go wrong with All You Can Eat Sushi?

それを試してみてお楽しみください  (try it and enjoy)


Sushi 99 on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment