Sunday 1 January 2012

Downtown Bistro and Grill

Flashback:

Lunch at Downtown Bistro and Grill, Burlington, Ontario on December 30, 2011.



In her opinion:

We were headed to Toronto on a very overcast day when I changed my mind...after all, it's my prerogative! I thought Oakville was a better option.  Edgar decided that a stop in Burlington was also a good idea. After giving it some thought, I decided that lunch at The Big Tomato was a great choice.  Unfortunately, the pizza gods didn't think so since it wasn't opened for lunch.  After checking out several options in the downtown Burlington area (or the block around Village Square)we stumbled upon Downtown Bistro and Grill.  What a find. The place is not big...a good thing.  We were met by the owner's stepson who was both charming and an attentive waiter...also a good  thing. The food was delicious and plentiful...a very good thing.

Edgar and I shared an appetizer.  We had the Calamari and it's described on their menu as "crusted with their signature breading and served with a side of roasted red pepper and garlic aioli".  It was a huge serving, the calamari was super tender and it was delicious.



For my entree, I had the Pierogies, which were "pan flash fried and topped with caramelized onions and double smoked bacon." It was served with a house salad with a raspberry vinaigrette.  I enjoyed these little guys.  They were soft and delicious.



For dessert, we decided to share the Classic Creme Brulee.  I liked it...but creme brulee is creme brulee.



Overall, I really enjoyed this place.  After a long week of eating overpriced meals at mundane places in the KW region, it was nice to enjoy a really good bistro meal.  I washed it all down with a glass of East Dell Riesling (not on the menu but offered as a choice by my attentive waiter) and I smiled ear to ear all day...I could go for that calamari about now...

In his opinion:
We stumbled upon this bistro while roaming The Village Square in Burlington. Inside. it is like an old charming house with pretty straightforward decor but very welcoming. Our waiter was pleasant and very attentive. The menu had nothing that our non-foodie son would want, so we just ordered him an orange juice (looked like a cocktail, cherry included) but even that wasn't to his liking.

Since the wine list didn't impress me much (no Pinot Noir), I decided to have a Stella Artois beer with my meal.

We shared the "Calamari Appetizer", it was big, the squid was tender and the dipping sauce was so-so......but tasted amazing on its on. (pictured above).

For my entree, I had the "Prime Rib Panini" (slow roasted, horseradish Dijon mayo, roasted red peppers and sauteed onions). The panini was great, bread was nice and crunchy and just enough prime rib in it not to come out of the sides when you bite into it. 



We shared the Creme Brulee (pictured above) and it was very good. Our son had the strawberry from it and the wife and I devoured it pretty quickly because it was pretty good.

Good: The atmosphere, the food, awesome waiter, the price.
Bad:  Creme brulee was a little soft on the inside and a limited wine selection.
Verdict: Will return for sure. The Thursday tapas sound amazing so maybe for that. 

I give it a 3 out of 5 olives as rating.


Downtown Bistro and Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment